bad grub

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun May 15 11:11:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:35:02AM +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
>Then updated (using synaptic/smart updates) and looked at the system
>and noticed that /boot/grub did not contain a "menu.lst" file.
>Thinking that this was the reason for the "grub>" prompt, I put a
>menu.lst in that directory.  On reboot all I got was GRUB and a freeze
>only cured by ctrl-alt-delete.  Maybe that "menu.lst" was faulty? - So
>I removed it using Freesbie.  Unfortunately, that didn't help.
>Selecting "Linux" from my bootloader still gives me that uppercase word
>GRUB and a complete freeze.
>
>Anyone know how I can recover?  Even a return to the "grub>" prompt
>would be helpful.

Using grub in Ubuntu/Debian is reasonably straight forward. Just too
grub isn't straight forward in itself. ;-)

Take a look at /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz for the details. If
you don't have too complicated a setup the following should do it:

 # grub-install /dev/hda
 # update-grub
 [edit /boot/grub/menu.lst]
 # update-grub

Please read the full doc before setting off on this path though. YMMV!!!

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Technology lies on the leading edge of life.
     -- Rush