What is similar to kpackage ?

Bengt Thuree bengt at thuree.com
Sun May 15 02:15:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 09:44 +0700, sn00bb0rn.linux gmail wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm tryin ubuntu now. As a comparisson in simpplyMepis (sorry) whenever
> I do a double click on .deb file, Kpackage offer me to install. When I
> do the same in Hoary, what I got is the offer to extract it. Am I
> missing something here ? Or it just that "double click" install is not
> yet in Hoary?
Nope, you need to do things a bit more manually.
Either "apt-get install <package>", or using synaptic as a GUI frontend
to it.
Or to install a .dev file manually by using dpkg directly.

>  From what Ive seen (or am I overlook ?) most distro these days rely on
> the online update like apt. This bother me because I haven't got any
> fancy connection yet. All that I can do is downloading every package one
> by one, and using dpkg to install (what am I missing here ?). So some of
> you may imagine the trouble that I've got when tring to install
> fwbuilder. I have to go back online several time to deal with libwxgtk,
> libsnmp then libsnmp-base etc...

Why don't you go online and give the following command
apt-get update
apt-get install fwbuilder
and voila, it will download all dependencies as well as install them for
you.

/Bengt
--
Bengt Thuree <bengt at thuree.com>