OT :UBUNTU server ?

Gavin Hemphill gavin.hemphill at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Sat May 14 23:50:21 UTC 2005

I'm using ubuntu hoary (5.04) as a server with apache2, imaps
(dovecot),  smpt (postfix), mysql, LDAP, bind, shorewall .... etc.  It
replaced a Red Hat Enterprise Linux server running on the same hardware
and works MUCH better than RHEL, in that all of my peripherals work "out
of the box" as opposed to RHEL in which Firewire is broken, SATA drives
are not supported etc.  Even better I haven't even had to enable
"universe" to achieve everything I want in the server.

I've just installed my VMware 5 software and to quote someone else "life
is beautiful".

So far I've had NO issues with stability, or any of the upgrades that
happen automatically.  For those of us who are looking for "leading but
not bleeding edge software" with regular security updates to essentially
replace what RedHat 9 was, ubuntu is the answer.  Now all I've got to do
is to figure out how to convince my employer that "contributions" to
ubuntu are exactly the same as the "entitlements" that we used to pay
RedHat.

The disadvantage to using ubuntu (well only in our software development
teams mind) is that we're going to have to recompile everything  when we
eventually move to "breezy" due to the API change in C++ in gcc 4.  The
nice part about that is that it's easy to have two versions of gcc
installed under ubuntu and we can be preparing for that now rather than
waiting 'till later.
That's the cost of staying somewhere near the leading edge.

--
Gavin Hemphill		<mailto:gavin.hemphill at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
DRDC Atlantic 		<http://www.atlantic.drdc-rddc.gc.ca>