Next Question: Is it my lousy gerbil-powered computer?

Randy Forston rforston at earthlink.net
Sat May 14 23:26:19 UTC 2005

>Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 3:03 PM
>Object: Next Question: Is it my lousy gerbil-powered computer?

>...get a message that I have "relatively little memory" (to say the
>least), and now the thing has hung permanently.

>If I uninstall Win98 to free up some memory, and then *install* Ubuntu
>from the Install disk I burned, what do we think the chances are that it
>will load up and function properly?"

>If it matters, the aforesaid Gerbil XX1000 has 2.1 G hard drive, a
>blinding 48 MB of RAM, and a dazzling 166mHz chip.

Robert,

"Memory", in this case probably means RAM, not storage memory (the hard
drive).

I'd add more RAM to your system, first.
128 Meg of RAM, would be my suggestion. More if you can afford it.

Here's how you might check your hard drive for install space:
If you bring up a DOS prompt in Win95, type   dir   and you'll see a listing
of your directories scroll by, with the amount of free space left on your
hard drive at the very bottom. My guess is you've enough space there.
Hopefully, you'll have a gig or so free, if not, then you can start
deleting.

I'm not sure of the amount of disk storage a basic Ubuntu install takes up,
I've never stopped to look ...... someone better informed than me, will
probably speak up tho.

Cheers,
Randy   <rforston at earthlink.net>