GDM : can't set a background image ... bug ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat May 14 23:17:58 UTC 2005

> did both of you not recognize the title of the tab ?
> gdm has two modes, a graphical one (the default you know) and a standard
> one that shows up a little different, you select the mode you want in
> the "General" tab.
> if you change settings for the standard mode, they only apply to the
> standard mode.
>
> ciao
> 	oli

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Danke schön Oli !!!!

This whole GDM configuration panel now makes a lot of sense !!!
I feel so stupid now... ;-)
I set "standard greeter" for "local", and I got a completely different
log-in windows... as well as the required background pic ! :-)

Wow, can't believe it took me so long to find out what GDM was capable
of, thank you so much Oli.
Isn't it incredible how one can live so close to something, yet never
realize what it really can do ? Incredible.

Well, this "standard" greeter is a lot better than the graphical one.
Much easie to customize, looks better, nice dialog window, which
apparently even supports Gtk themes ! So I just need to log as root
(well, will have to create an account first I guess ?) in order to
change root's, hence GDM's, theme.

Another miracle seems to have happened with this standard greeter Oli:
Up until now, with the Nvidia 3D driver, the machine would crash and
freeze solid within 10 seconds of logging out/in (but not the first
log-in). Well, after setting GDM to this standard greeter, logged out to
see what it looks like, then logged back-in, expecting the machine to
crash then hard-lock, but oh, what's up... nothing crashes... and 5
minutes later, as I am writing this... it hasn't locked either !
Can't believe it, I will have to test it several times to see if it was
just goo luck or not. If not, then at least I know that the hardlock has
to do with the graphical greeter, not the standard one !
Needless to say, I will stick with the standard one from now on ! :-)

Thanks again Oli, I love this list ! :-)

--
Vince