New Ubuntu-Firefox - maybe safer but not 100%

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:15:07 UTC 2005

On 5/14/05, David Marsh <lists2005 at viewport.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Oliver Grawert wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
>  about: Re: New Ubuntu-Firefox - maybe safer but not 100%
>
> > there is a easy way to check that, for every ubuntu package the changes
> > with the corresponding bugnumber are written in the changelog:
> >
> > zless /usr/share/doc/mozilla-firefox/changelog.Debian.gz
>
> Many thanks, that's a useful tip. I didn't know you could do that.
>
> I had noticed that there had been two updates to Firefox recently, and
> although I was vaguely aware of the security issues, I thought that two
> updates in quick succession was perhaps a bit unusual, so it's good to
> know there's a way where you can find out what the reasons were..
>
> It might be a useful mini-app for the next version of Ubuntu to have a
> GUI app in which you could type (or select) the name of an application,
> for it then to display the change log for that app, as a newbie-friendly
> front-end to the above?

The update manager itself does this.  When it shows you a listing of
packages to be updated, there's a small option under the list
'details', when this is open it will show you the reason for the
update.

It remembers the state, so if you open it once it'll stay open each time.

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com