AW: New Ubuntu-Firefox - maybe safer but not 100%

Arjan Geven - CURE geven at cure.at
Fri May 13 14:38:06 UTC 2005

Okay, changing app.version to 1.0.4 does not work (just checked on
Win2k). The Mozilla website checks on User Agent String, which of course
can be changed/faked/removed. I tried navigating to the
extensions-website of Firefox using an alternative browser (IE.. notice
the irony?) and I got to the extension site without a problem. Here, you
can download any XPI you want and install them manually.

A good one to install would be the User-Agent Switcher, which can be
found at
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/user_agent_switcher/us
er_agent_switcher-0.6.5-fx+mz.xpi

Download it, then install it manually in Firefox (File > Open File.. >
choose file.xpi).

It remains a nasty workaround, but I guess it will work :(.

---
Arjan Geven
E-mail: geven at cure.at