Kernel header files

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sat May 14 15:56:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 17:35 +0200, Alain Muls wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last week I wanted to install the 686 kernel. I installed the
> linux-686 package (sudo apt-get install linux-686) and rebooted. At
> the loading modules, the boot process failed. I got a screen scrolling
> soo fast that I cannot read the text. I rebooted with the 386 boot
> option, and removed the linux-686 package.
>      1. what went wrong? It was on a fresh install, almost nothing
>         added with regard to the standard ubuntu install

Can't say... Any idea on what any of the messages are? Does pause or
scroll lock work to pause the scrolling? Do you really have a
686-compatible machine?

>      1. today, I want to install a package (rxtx for java comm) and I
>         perform a ./configure. I get the following warning
> checking java.version  1.5.0_01
> checking os.version  2.6.10-5-386
>
>        WARNING:  Kernel include files do not match the current kernel

Do you have the 'linux-headers-386' package installed?

> how to solve this problem. It is crucial for me to have the java
> comm.jar installed, else I have to return to SuSE which I would
> regret.
>
> Another problem is related to the java comm.jar package.
> I do consulting for a firm and I need to have serial communication in
> java. When I install the program I can run it as root, but as normal
> user I am not allowed to install the lock file for the serial port.
> When I compile the same program, I get no errors, but I cannot run is,
> neither as normal user or as root.
>
> Any suggestions???

You could try installing the librxtx-java package from debian/unstable,
and installing it using 'dpkg -i librxtx-java_2.1.6-2_i386.deb'

Get it from here:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/librxtx-java

Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt (ID 23A02B1F)