Kernel header files

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Sat May 14 15:35:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

Last week I wanted to install the 686 kernel. I installed the linux-686
package (sudo apt-get install linux-686) and rebooted. At the loading
modules, the boot process failed. I got a screen scrolling soo fast that
I cannot read the text. I rebooted with the 386 boot option, and removed
the linux-686 package.

     1. what went wrong? It was on a fresh install, almost nothing added
        with regard to the standard ubuntu install
     2. today, I want to install a package (rxtx for java comm) and I
        perform a ./configure. I get the following warning

checking java.version  1.5.0_01
checking os.version  2.6.10-5-386

       WARNING:  Kernel include files do not match the current kernel

how to solve this problem. It is crucial for me to have the java
comm.jar installed, else I have to return to SuSE which I would regret.

Another problem is related to the java comm.jar package.
I do consulting for a firm and I need to have serial communication in
java. When I install the program I can run it as root, but as normal
user I am not allowed to install the lock file for the serial port.
When I compile the same program, I get no errors, but I cannot run is,
neither as normal user or as root.

Any suggestions???
Tx

Best regards,