Laptop wireless network at start-up...

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Sat May 14 03:29:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

this is really stumping me, so I hope someone can provide some advice.
I installed a Ralink Rt2500 wireless network card following the
instructions at
<https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Rt2500WirelessCardsHowTo>, which were
mostly pretty straight-forward.

The wireless interface doesn't come up on start-up, however, and I'm a
little bit stumped as to how to get it to do so.

If I log into my GUI once the laptop has booted, and run `sudo ifconfig
ra0 up` I can then run RaConfig2500 & it will detect my wireless
network & use the WEP key I entered in it previously & which is stored
in /etc/Wireless/RT2500STA/RT2500STA.dat. I then have to manually run
`sudo dhclient ra0` manually & all is hunky-dory.

kWifiManager also seems to handle the WEP key & SSID pretty well,
providing the `sudo ifconfig ra0 up` has been run first. Its
configuration manager has a box for "execute script on connect", in
which entering `dhclient ra0` seems to have no effect, but undoubtedly
I can fix this by setting dhclient to be setuid root, or with some
other heinous hack.

Can anyone tell me the best way to make things work automagically on
startup, please?

As you can see from the above, I don't really need the boot-up sequence
to set SSID or WEP ket, but just "ifconfig ra0 up". Gentoo has an
/etc/init.d/local, which simply trys to `source
/etc/conf.d/local.start`; presumably Ubuntu has an equivalent & I could
stuff `ifconfig ra0 up`  in there, but this seems a bit kludgy.

I've tried tampering with /etc/network/interfaces, and adding the line:
    iface ra0 inet manual
But that doesn't seem to work. Can anyone give me any hints, please?

Stroller.