KDE vs Kubuntu

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Sat May 14 02:39:02 UTC 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 2:52 am, Brian Astill wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:44 pm, Matthew S-H wrote:
>> I keep getting the impression from what I read that installing KDE on
>> default installation of Hoary is much better than installing Kubuntu
>> from the outset.  Is this true?
>
> It is true for me, but that doesn't mean it would be true for
> everybody else.
> Doing things the hoary/KDE way results in a HUGE menu containing both
> Gnome
> and KDE apps.  That might be too confusing for a beginner.
> But I like it!  :-)

I installed Kubuntu, but if I'd thought it would've provided a better
KDE install, I would have run the Gnome version of Ubuntu, chosen the
minimal "server" install & then installed KDE. I think this would avoid
having both sets of apps.

But I read:
    Kubuntu is the first Ubuntu derived distribution. Our Kubuntu CDs
    are made up of Ubuntu's base plus KDE. You can get exactly the same
    effect by installing Ubuntu and adding the KDE packages from the
    Ubuntu archives. <http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php>

Stroller.