KDE vs Kubuntu

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Sat May 14 01:52:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:44 pm, Matthew S-H wrote:
> I keep getting the impression from what I read that installing KDE on a
> default installation of Hoary is much better than installing Kubuntu
> from the outset.  Is this true?

It is true for me, but that doesn't mean it would be true for everybody else.
Doing things the hoary/KDE way results in a HUGE menu containing both Gnome
and KDE apps.  That might be too confusing for a beginner.
But I like it!  :-)

> If I wanted to use KDE (I don't, but a friend does), which meta package
> should I install (the Kubuntu meta package or the KDE meta package)?

You mean the KDE meta package you see on KPackage in Kubuntu vs the KDE meta
package you see in Synaptic in Hoary?  Both meta packages would be the same.

My best guess is that it would make no difference to the KDE you would finish
up with.  Starting from Kubuntu you would NOT suffer the confusion of having
menu access to Gnome apps as well as KDE apps and you WOULD have a complete
KDE setup.

It's a matter of what you prefer.

--
Regards,