Distributing Firefox updates as XPIs

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Fri May 13 09:56:29 UTC 2005

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 12.05.2005, 21:09 -0400 schrieb Michael Beattie:
> I dont know why they just dont make a new package with the new version
> when one is available from the author...

because the packages ubuntu offers have run through a releaseplan that
involves testing and QA, so stability can be guaranteed.
the way ubuntu works is to backport the (security related) changes from
the new version to the proven version in the distro, to test the package
very extensively and to offer it as security update. be sure, even if
hoarys firefox has the version number 1.0.2, it will be up to date with
all security patches from the 1.0.4 version. just introducing the new
version would require a full test of the application to find the new
introduced bugs it brings.

ciao
	oli