Saving the MBR by "dd"?

Kurt Underhay kunderhay at riskworx.com
Fri May 13 08:36:01 UTC 2005

Hi Peter

The reply that has already been sent is correct i.e. bs=512, count=1.

Do your FC3 and hoary installations share a boot partition, or are their
respective /boot directories contained within hda5 and hda6? Because if
the latter is the case, then they won't be able to speak to each other.

BTW - I seem to recall that XP Pro doesn't play havoc with the MBR as
much as previous versions of Windows did, but of course it is definitely
a good idea to back up anyway.