Saving the MBR by "dd"?

Peter Baumgartner linuz at bssmusic.de
Fri May 13 07:39:19 UTC 2005

Hi,
this is a question to the more experienced users:
I have a triple boot machine (XP on hda1, FC3 on hda5 and hoary on hda6
+ /documents on hde). The XP is my playground ;-) and is getting
terribly slow, so I would like to re-install it. Because the GRUBs of
ubuntu and Fedora Core seem not to understand each other (are they
talking different languages??), I had to manually edit the "menu.list"
to get it working. To overcome the well known "advantages" of Windoze in
respect of the MBR I want to save it before the Win$ installation and
re-write it by "dd".
What parameters do I need ( BS=?   length=?)? Can anybody help me with this?
Thanks in advance

Peter