Ubuntu Book by O'Reilly?

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Fri May 13 00:42:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 14:39 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:

> Without flaming this post, please, what do you think? Would an O'Reilly
> Book on Ubuntu have a following?
>
> What kind of book would would people want? a newbie book, a book for
> experienced Linux users or somewhere in between?
>
> I will let the editor know if this post gets any responses and from
> that, he can make a decision.

I am an O'Reilly Safari subscriber, so I do read O'Reilly books a lot, I
think they're amazing.  However, something that has always irked me
about dead tree is timing.  A new Ubuntu release comes out every 6
months.  Writing about Hoary now would lend itself to be obsolete in a
very short while.

While I do agree that an Ubuntu book would do better then, for example
"Linux from Scratch for Noobs", given Ubuntu's goal as a linux distro
for people, I do have to ask how a book can keep up with something that
changes so quick.

I have on my shelf a PHP book written for 4.1.  I have on my O'Reilly
bookshelf a book on PHP 5.  Programming (or I guess in PHP's case,
scripting) languages don't change nearly as fast as a book on Ubuntu
would need to.

I realize not a whole lot changes between releases, so a book would
still be mostly accurate.

In any event, good luck with writing it if this project does go forward,
I'll be sure to add it to my shelf once a slot opens up.