Ubuntu Book by O'Reilly?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri May 13 01:24:21 UTC 2005

> Each chapter should address a specific computing area and be split into three
> sections. 1 The Basics; 2. Technical explanation; 3. Advanced techniques and
> troubleshooting.
> The book will have a _really_ extensive index at the back (and might include a
> live CD?).

Hmmm... a kind "getting started" part/book, coupled with a
"advanced/technical" one, plus an offical CD... mmmmm... just put it all
in a nice glossy package, and we are split hair away from making a
"boxed" version of Ubuntu ! Wow, sure wouild be good, a lovely Ubuntu
box in the stores, next to Suse and Mandrake... with a lovely CD and /or
DVD and comprehensive quality printed material inside... :o))))
Suse and Mandrake cost around 100 Euros, so if we sell it fro half that,
50 or 60 Euros, should be enough to cover the cost of the book ?
Maybe we should put O'Reilly and Ubuntu in contact, to work together to
create this boxed version. O'Reilly would get 85% of the money back to
cover the cost of the book, 5% for the distributor, 5% for the rest of
the hardware (glossy box, pressed CD/DVD), and the remaining 5% would go
to Ubuntu to help develop Ubuntu. Hopefully if Ubuntu is successful
enough, this money would be enough to employ one or two top of the range
developper. A I understand it, there are only a handful of hard core
dev, so any extra dev would probably significantly speed Ubuntu's
development. There are plenty of projects tro carry out, so the more dev
we have, the faster we can implement them... :-)
Obviously we do need to sell the box at least 30% cheaper than Suse and
Mandrake, to tempt people.

Ohhhh, I love this Ubuntu adventure more and more everyday, so exciting
and promising... :o)))

--
Vince