NEWBIE QUESTIONS

squareyes squareyes at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 12 09:58:26 UTC 2005

Lee H. wrote:

>On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:08:59 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>Hi.  I'm a windows user so please excuse the dumb questions.
>>
>>How do I download a program (package) and load it?
>>
>>I am using Synaptic Package Manager for getting packages.
>>
>>What I want to know is
>>if I find a program on the internet, do I have to save it to a certain
>>file area to UNZIP it and run the
>>Synaptic program?
>>
>>Do I have to use the text commands to open it?
>>
>>Are there programs I can't use with Ubuntu?
>>
>>Here is an example, I am a ham radio operator and there is a
>>packetcluster program called CLX.
>>I went to the site, downloaded it to my desktop, and there I stand.  How
>>do I take that program,
>>unzip it and install it?  (am I windows or WHAT!)
>>
>>Sorry for taking up time and space here but I really do want to learn
>>and this is REALLY foriegn
>>to me.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Barry
>>

>Thanks so much for having the guts to get on here and ask this.
>
>I am in the same situation.
>
>I downloaded Opera and I think I installed it but when I click on Opera
>in the programs menu nothing happens.  I haven't the faintest idea what
>to do next.
>
>How do I download and install BOINC so I can run SETI?  How do I get it
>to start and run automatically when I start the computer?
>
>None of the How-To's I have found come close to helping.
>
>As for installing and configuring Email, news, and Networking with my
>Windows machines, Ubuntu rocks.  I have managed to get farther with this
>than with any other distro that I have tried.
>
>Thank You Ubuntu team!
>

>Lee H. in beautiful Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada!

Hi,
been in the same situation, still a newbie,
there are some good tutorials  Windows -  to -  Linux

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-roadmap.html#N10050

I am trying to make up a very basic help site that may help

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/squareyes/index.html

Looking for me ideas.

Best of luck with Ubuntu, the best linux distro I have found so
far for ease of use.
Take Care
Winton