Memory and CPU requirements

Travis Rousseau travis.rousseau at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:48:46 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Depends what you want to get out of it. I managed to install it (well,
> Warty) on my old Pentium 200MMX, but to be really confortable/realistic,
> and following my own experience on my main machine, I think a processor
> clocked at around 1.0 GHz, 256MB of RAM, and a decently modern/fast 10
> or 20GB hard drive would be ideal.
I disagree 1Ghz is way more than enough not to mention expensive
still. 400Mhz and up is enough to run Ubuntu comfortably. I run my
laptop at 600Mhz when not plugged in to save battery the only time i
notice the speed is the install.
for memory 128MB with a swap of 400MB is more than enough for most new users.
> If you have more money to fork out, put more RAM, 512, 768, 1GB, every
> increase helps.
For a home computer having a 1Ghz processor and 1GB of memory is a
waste, in this case a faster cpu would be way more noticeable and cost
effective.
> Then only maybe increase CPU speed to 1.5 or 2GHz,
> anything more than this will be a waste of money IMHO, and will only
> make the machine hotter, which is never good, and more importantly...
> noiser, which as far as I am concerned, is a show-stopper, and the
> number #1 deciding factor when I think of upgrading any part of my
> machine.
Again I disagree
How does it make it hotter? Newer faster processors are made smaller
and wiser than they used to be my main computer has a Athlon 64 3400+
it makes no sounds at all and rarely does the fan even need to turn it
knows when its not in use so it clocks its self down to (*Runs and
checks) 1Ghz when not in use so it makes even less heat the only thing
that makes heat is my 2 hard drives (had 4 but 2 crapped out due to
heat (i know i need hard drive fans). Now on both my 600Mhz
workstation and 1Ghz workstation (both 128MB memory) make the most
heat by far and noise ( we can sleep beside my main computer and we
do) while the 600Mhz computer needs to be turned off on really hot
days or at night and the 1Ghz workstation was re-located a few floors
down.

Travis R.