Changing WM in Gnome

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 12 06:57:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:38:27PM -0400, Todd Slater wrote:
>I'd like to use XFwm4 instead of metacity for WM in Gnome, but I can't
>figure out how to switch. I tried "killall metacity; xfwm4" but
>metacity seems to come back to life.

The way I use to replace the window manager in Gnome:

In System->Preferences->Sessions mark metacity as 'normal' (it should be
on 'restart' by default). Now you start a terminal and run:

 pkill metacity; sleep 3; xfwm4

Check in System->Preferences->Sessions that xfwm4 is marked 'restart'.
Then forcefully kill your terminal. (Your window manager will die when
you do, but should be restarted automatically.)

Don't forget to save the session next time you log out!

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Some operating systems are called 'user friendly', Linux however is
'expert friendly'.