Perl problems

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu May 12 03:10:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:04:50PM -0400, Joe Wamsley wrote:
> Ok I gave that a try and it is now working thanks a lot for everybody's
> help. Just curious if anybody else had this problem though. I'm just
> using the Perl version that was installed by default.

This wasn't a Perl problem; it was a problem with the PATH,
which is part of the bash shell.

One of the most important and hardest bits to learn about
Linux is where one layer ends and another begins -- which
layer has responsibility for which problem. We'll help you
fumble your way into figuring the layers out, since we all
had to fumble to figure it out on our own. :-)

The first bit of general layer-figuring advice is:
environment variables, and most of what you'll encounter in
~/.bashrc, are related to the shell.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org