Searching for packages...

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Thu May 12 02:01:28 UTC 2005

Stroller,

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 00:50 +0100, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been using mostly Gentoo for the last couple of years, but have
> decided to try (k)Ubuntu on a new-to-me laptop I just bought. I like it
> very much, nice-looking & simple, and after Gentoo the install times
> are just amazingly fast ;), just what I need when I'm on-site with my
> laptop & realise that I need to install a network utility.
>
> What I don't seem to be able to find is a way to search apt-get's
> database for the stuff I want to install. For instance, one of the
> first things I went to install was `sshd`, and I didn't know the right
> name for the package. I'd already uncommented all the entries in
> /etc/apt/sources/list, but `apt-get install sshd` wasn't doing it, and

You can use the gui tool 'synaptic' (System->Administration->Synaptic
Package Manager)

This has a search function as well as installation, upgrades, etc.

The command line command you want is 'apt-cache searach'

For example

lathiat at ubuntu:~$ apt-cache search sshd
openssh-server - Secure shell server, an rshd replacement
hsftp - Ssh client with look and feel of a FTP client
libjsch-java - Java secure channel implementation
libjsch-java-doc - Java secure channel documentation and examples
ssh-krb5 - Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH with Kerberos)p
webmin-sshd - SSH server control module for webmin
lathiat at ubuntu:~$

And then you can install the requested package like this

lathiat at ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  openssh-server
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 260kB of archives.
[.....]

And you don't want to use dselect, if anything, try aptitude. :)

> I had to Google on the name of the package. I had a similar problem
> finding kernel sources / headers, which I needed for installing the
> driver for my wireless card.

The linux headers are linux-headers-386
You could "apt-cache search linux headers"

Cheers,
Trent

--
Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>