NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu May 12 01:44:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:08:59 -0700
Barry Martz <sendithere at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi.  I'm a windows user so please excuse the dumb questions.
>
> How do I download a program (package) and load it?
>
> I am using Synaptic Package Manager for getting packages.

Doesn't Synaptic eventually show you a window wherin it is unpacking and
installing your downloaded packages and you then get to tell it to stop
because it ahs completed successfully? I think that's the default. You
probably already /have/ installed them. You may need to get the menu
program (watch for Synaptic to run the installation window) and run the
command, <update-menus>.  At least that works for me in IceWM.  I can't
really say about the default Ubuntu WM's menus.

<snip>

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,