Java and C++ development

Frank Schafer frank.schafer at t-systems.cz
Wed May 11 07:41:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 10:23 +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just installed Ubuntu and like its responsiveness, compared to
> SuSE9.2, it makes a big difference.
>
> Now get on to the question I have. I develop java and C/C++/Qt
> applications and am looking for the applications
> (compiler/header/library/jdk/...) to install. In Synaptic, I see a
> choice between different gcc versions.
>      1. what version is best to install with current Qt v3.3 ?
>      2. do I have to set JAVA_HOME and related environment vars to
>         work with the JDK?

The installation of Java on Ubuntu is a quite straight forward process.

I've installed SUN's J2SDK-1.4.2_08 yesterday.
Installed as usual (made the .bin executable, (as root) copied it
to /opt, executed it, added JAVA_HOME and $JAVA_HOME/bin to the PATH
in /etc/profile).
Everything works perfect. I need Java to make Eclipse to work.
Succeeded :).

I don't bother much if the packaging system knows about such steps. If
you do ... I think there is an answer to this too somewhere else in this
thread.

Regarding to C/C++ development I ran into some problems. With other
distros (Slack, Gentoo, LFS) I'm accustomed to have all of the headers
and manuals available if I have a lib installed for instance. Be sure to
have pkg-devel and manpages-pkg (for the manuals in section 3) installed
for all of these packages. If you need the manuals in section 2 too;
this is a further package.

Hope this helps
Frank