Java and C++ development

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue May 10 18:08:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:23:44AM +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
>Hi
>
>I just installed Ubuntu and like its responsiveness, compared to
>SuSE9.2, it makes a big difference.
>
>Now get on to the question I have. I develop java and C/C++/Qt
>applications and am looking for the applications
>(compiler/header/library/jdk/...) to install. In Synaptic, I see a
>choice between different gcc versions.

Use 'g++', it will pull in the default version of g++ for your version
of Ubuntu (3.3. in Hoary).

>     1. what version is best to install with current Qt v3.3 ?

The developers work hard to make sure that all libraries and tools in
a Ubuntu release work well together. 'g++' will work with
'libqt3-mt-dev'.

>     2. do I have to set JAVA_HOME and related environment vars to work
>        with the JDK?

Installing Java takes a little bit of work, at least if you want a
non-free version (Sun, IBM). Check this page for more info:

 http://serios.net/content/debian/java/
 (it's written for Debian but the process works flawlessly for Ubuntu as
 well)

There is a page on the Wiki dedicated to Java on Ubuntu:

 http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Java

but I've found that none of the repositories listed there is up, so
the only option left is to buid the packages using java-package anyway.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

The NSA response was, "Well, that was interesting, but there aren't
any ciphers like that."
      -- Gus Simmons, "The History of Subliminal Channels"