System Name in Application Panel?

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 20:38:30 UTC 2005

Rich Duzenbury wrote:
> I've got a number of ubuntu boxen now, and I switch back and forth
> between machines via KVM.  I'd like to see the system name in the
> launcher panel so I can make sure I'm running commands on correct box.

Very good idea [1]. How about:

 * Right-click on the panel (on an unused bit)

 * Choose Properties

 * Click on the background tab

 * Choose background image

 * Select a background image that has the system name in it: should take
 * you two minutes in the Gimp.

Hope this helps,

James.

[1] Says he who once was logged into a backup Unix box without manpages
or current users, and telnetted [2] into the main box with about sixty
users to check the syntax of shutdown.

Yes, I did forget to log out of the main box before running shutdown.
Fortunately, that's been about the worst thing I've done so far while
logged in as root when I didn't need to be -- or while I did need to be,
come to that.

[2] A while back, and on a basically trusted network.

--
E-mail address: james | *No-one* liked the Joshua N'Clement block. The people
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | who lived there thought everyone should be taken out