Hoary GDM Problem

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:33:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-05 at 19:10 +1000, Russell Cook wrote:

> SESSION_MANAGER=local/arch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7562
> Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag
> Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
> Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag
> Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
> Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag
> Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag

> I also now get far enough to have an error in the /var/log/gdm/:0.log
> file. Here's what seems relevant in this file:
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing
> from list!
> SetClientVersion: 0 8
> Error in "UpdateFile" -4
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing
> from list!

I also get these 2 "Could not init path element..." errors on my
machine, so I wouldn't worry about those.

I would look first at that Fontconfig error in local.conf.  That file is
in /etc/fonts/local.conf, and obviously gdm doesn't like something on
line 29.  Have you tried to change it recently? Or did some changes to
your fonts?

--
Daniel Robitaille
 GPG: http://robitaille.fastmail.fm/pubkey.asc (0x5C19F466)