Hoary GDM Problem

Russell Cook ruscook at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:10:03 UTC 2005

Russell Cook wrote:

> Hi Daniel

>>if it is a gdm problem, maybe the error or problem would show up in one
>>of the log files in  /var/log/gdm
>>

> I'll grab the latest files in this directory tonight and post.
> Thanks
> Regards Russ

I finally got the machine to boot into Gnome and the GDM login screen. I
did this by copying my /etc/gdm directory to my fathers machine's
/etc/gdm directory. (I saved the old one first)

I now get into gnom and get a couple of errors on startup.

Here's the .xsession-errors file.
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l
":0" "harry"
SESSION_MANAGER=local/arch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7562
Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag
Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: mismatched tag

I also now get far enough to have an error in the /var/log/gdm/:0.log
file. Here's what seems relevant in this file:
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing
from list!
SetClientVersion: 0 8
Error in "UpdateFile" -4
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing
from list!

We now have a gnome startup popup error, well 2 of them. Firstly I get
the message "Cannot find or run base session script, will try the gnome
failsafe session". The second message is " This failsafe session...."

Does anyone know how to fix this step?

--
Kind Regards Russell