playing DVD (IDE /SCSI)

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Tue May 10 14:24:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 13:52 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:
> hi Ziyad and others

Hi René...

> > b.) IDE SCSI emulation for the DVD?
> > There are two types of CD-ROM and DVD drives: IDE (the common one, and
> > most likely every one in this list got one of those) and SCSI (very
> > expansive, old, and most likely no one in this list have it).  That
> > being said, in Linux you can access IDE drives in two different ways:
> >      1. The neutral way (as IDE device) and this is the default as of
> >         Linux 2.6 and it's the recommended.
> >      2. Using SCSI emulation (in other words, Linux treats the drive as
> >         if it is an SCSI device using some internal translator).
> >
> > To try editing the file ("sudo gedit /etc/modules") using the SCSI
> > emulation, put the following lines at the *top* of
> > the file "/etc/modules":
> >         ide_scsi
> >         sr_mod
> >         sg
>
> > Now, reboot your system and hope that this will work.  (By the way, by
> > using the SCSI emulation, you wont lose any functionality from the PC.)
>

> FIRST, this is the output of MODULES so far by default:
>
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
> # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
>
> sr_mod
> psmouse
> mousedev
> ide-cd
> ide-disk
> ide-generic
> sbp2
> lp
Good, just add "ide_scsi" before "sr_mod" and "sg" after "sr_mod" (each
one of them in it's own line).  Your "/etc/modules" should look like
this:
        # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
        #
        # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
        # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
        # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

        ide_scsi
        sr_mod
        sg
        psmouse
        mousedev
        ide-cd
        ide-disk
        ide-generic
        sbp2
        lp

> AND second, i do know by HAL's information, that the CD-Drive is a IDE one.

I know that.  As I said, most of the people have IDE CD-ROM/DVD drives,
not SCSI.  And the thing I told you to do is called SCSI *emulation* for
that reason.  It's just an emulation.

> regards,
> René

Change your "/etc/modules" as I said above, reboot and give a try (this
wont hurt your system, and you can undo it any time you want).

Tell us if that helps.
Ziyad.