playing DVD (Solution found!? - lets see)

René L. Reingard reingard at hispeed.ch
Tue May 10 19:25:41 UTC 2005

dear all,

>> FIRST, this is the output of MODULES so far by default:
>>
>> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
>> #
>> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
>> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
>> # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
>>
>> sr_mod
>> psmouse
>> mousedev
>> ide-cd
>> ide-disk
>> ide-generic
>> sbp2
>> lp

> Good, just add "ide_scsi" before "sr_mod" and "sg" after "sr_mod" (each
> one of them in it's own line).  Your "/etc/modules" should look like
> this:
>         # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
>         #
>         # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
>         # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
>         # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
>        ide_scsi
>         sr_mod
>         sg
>         psmouse
>         mousedev
>         ide-cd
>         ide-disk
>         ide-generic
>         sbp2
>         lp

this SCSI topic leaded me to a search, and guess what do i have found
through Synaptic on the machine? a pack called "kernel-patch-scsi-idle",
which made me curious. so i deleted that, and now, i looks to me like
things are running much better. at least after 3 starts of the machine,
many of the DVD's which were read as empty are playeable now. eventhough
with some the CD-Drive does not label the name of the DVD, and the
mediaplayer does not start automatically as set by default. anyhow lets
see what happens the next few days.
this pack "kernel-patch-scsi-idle" must have been installed, when i tried
to change some of the default repositories set by the Upgrade to Hoary. i
guess i must have thought at that time this must be useful; ha!

thanks for all the help.
regards,
René

++ Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul:
http://www.opera.com/m2/