Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Tue May 10 01:29:08 UTC 2005

AMEN TO THAT!!
I'm sorry to respond to something with little more to add, but I feel
VERY strongly about this issue.
I tried learning Linux starting about a year and a half ago.  Of
course, it can never be mastered, but the attitude that some people had
taken had become a huge turnoff.  I was well motivated, so I learned on
my own.  I went from a MacOS 8.1 (thats right....8.1) install to a
WinXP machine to an Ubuntu install.  And on my way to Linux, I had to
go from not even knowing the "man" command existed (which is a Linux
man's best friend), to setting up an Apache server (i know this isn't
much in all of yourr records, but I'm proud :) ) and finally compiling
my first app from source code last week.  True, I came this far, but
not without having to deal with a lot of ignorant people insisting that
I was a "newb" and should look at "man" pages.  Of course, they didn't
bother to tell me the "man" command existed, and I assumed they just
meant "Use Google to find manual pages", which is a hard thing to do.
Anyway, I didn't make much sense there, but I hope I made a point.  If
linux is to ever attract anything but the most hardcore and devoted of
ideological tech mavericks, its users will have to start being a bit
nicer to people.  Face it, thanks to "Personal Computers", most of the
computing world doesn't know how to do anything more than double-click,
check their e-mail on a service that only requires them to type in
their password and click "Mail", and maybe visit a e-commerce site to
order something.  Those kind of users will back off right away if they
receive that kind of attitude.  They wouldn't care at all or ever know
any better if they stayed with Windows.
And, plus, as great as Ubuntu is, its greatest asset still remains its
user community.  And this was especially true at the beginning.
Without kind people like "you guys" on this list, there would be no
Ubuntu.  It would never have made it even close to Hoary.  And I, for
one, would not have stayed had it not been for the awesome support.

Just some gripes and groans from a newb.

~Matt