Getting a gravis gamepad pro (gameport) to work

ebonflame ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon May 9 17:50:45 UTC 2005

ebonflame Wrote:
> Just some further experementing.

> Of the pertinent modules for the gameport, I have the following:

> gameport;

> analog;

> I decded to modprobe ns558.  Now after ls /dev/input I get a js0.
> Checking with the KDE Joystick app, a dual axis 4 button joystick was
> found, but no movement nor button activity registers.

> Thinking that mayhaps if I put ns558 into /etc/modules so it would be
> inserted during boot time would keep my /dev/input/js0, I do just that
> and reboot.  However, frustration sets in as after I reboot, I check
> /dev/input and there is no js0 device.  However ns558 is listed in
> lsmod.  Any suggestions?  Once I get the js0 to be a permanent item,
> then I'll continue forward and see if I can get the Gravis Gamepad to
> work.

Further development:  Out of sheer frustration, I went and loaded the
x86 version of Kubuntu instead of the 64 bit.  After the requisite
modprobes, I have a working joystick.  Now if someone can aid me in the
following:

1) Keep analog from loading upon boot

2) load grip, joydev, and ns558 to where the joystick is connected.  It
seems that if ns558 is the last thing to be modprobed, then the joystick
is detected.  I'll try to add these items to /etc/modules and see what
happens.

--
ebonflame