Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Mon May 9 14:56:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:24:18 -0400
vailima <vailima at icontech.com> wrote:

> If I may suggest ....
>
> BEFORE ... PRIOR TO ... installing UBUNTU onto your main (or only)
> microcomputer, do yourself a favor and either;
>
> (1) Purchase a Card Reader with the appropriate number of Memory Cards
> as may be needed to store all your valuable data files or
>
> (2) purchase a new and large enough hard drive with the associated
> cables (see eBay) with which you can attach this new hard drive to
> your present computer,
>
> .. then down load and store all files and associated data which are of
> value to you.
>
> I suggest this as "WARTY" UBUNTU will destroy/write over/delete/remove
> ALL files currently on your hard drive. Unlike Mandrake, "WARTY"
> UBUNTU will NOT reside with another operating system on the same hard
> drive.
>
> I found this out the hard way ... only I had and have backup files and
> data stored on other microcomputers which I own.

This is Just Not So.  I have had my /home/cybe partition through
Libranet Linux 1.9.1, Debian potato when it was the stable
version, Debian testing, unstable, Ubuntu Warty, Hoary, and now
Breezy and /all/ of my data came through all the installations just
fine.  I suggest the problem you have experienced is a failure to fully
investigate the installation options.
Of course, your advice to back up data /is/ a good suggestion and
should be followed for many reasons anyway.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to continue...
	Winduhs