playing DVD (Totem-Xine) - 2

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Mon May 9 14:17:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 09:54 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:
> thanks Ziyad
> there is no such thing like "forcing" possible, cause some DVD's are
> just detected as empty, browsing them shows nothing! i also did open
> in these cases TOTEM and choosed "Play Disc/DVD". nothing works.
Are the DVDs clean and not scratched?  Do you have a good DVD drive (not
an old one that's starting to die)?  If you have another operating
system on the *same* PC as the one you have problems with, try booting
that OS and testing the DVDs.

Also, after inserting the problematic DVDs and waiting about 40 seconds,
run the following command and send back the output:
        dmesg | tail

> BUT NOW, one really strange thing i got to understand:
> i do have a dual boot system (WIndows XP and Ubuntu HOARY). the
> windows partition got always nicely mounted in WARTY (Icon on the
> desktop AND in Nautilus). in Hoary it also gets mounted, i can browse
> the Windows Partition in Nautilus through. BUT it can happen, that
> after starting the computer, that the Windows Partition does not get
> its own ICON, neither in Nautilus NOR on the Desktop (--> still i can
> browse the partition through the mountpoint /media/windows).
If that happens, see the output of "mount" and "ps ax | grep mount" and
send the output back.  Also, tell us what your "/etc/fstab" have in it.

> and now the strange thing: ONLY in the case when this Icon for the
> Windows Partition comes up, and it only comes up from time to time -
> how i do not know, my friend - , then the DVD is not detected as empty
> and i can open TOTEM, choose "Play CD/DVD" and the film goes well.
> still at this point, the autodetection (--> detecting DVD and open
> TOTEM automatically by default setting) on the CD-Drive does not work
> for these DVD's. and the CD-Drive shows himself as CD-ROM1 and dows
> not display the name of the film (as it does with other DVD's) and
> there is also no Icon of the Disk on the desktop (including name of
> the film) as it is with the others.
See the first paragraph of the message.  (Though, this is, indeed, very
strange!)

> grrrrr!!
> what couls that be??
> something got shaked here? the Hoary upgrade two days ago just went fine.
> regards;
> René

I hope I get a positive replay from you.  Do as the above and we'll try
to help.
Oh, and I'm very sorry for the delay!
Ziyad.