freezing problems

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon May 9 12:04:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:44:20 +0200
Paolo Ariano <paolo.ariano at unito.it> wrote:

PA> hi *
PA>
PA> in ubuntu all is ok but sometimes the computer freeze:
PA>
PA> i go uto of the office, a random screensaver start to do
PA> beautiful things but sometimes when i come back my pc is
PA> freezed showing the screensaver and
PA> nothing to do:
PA>
PA> ctrl+alt+backspace or crtrl+alt+F1 nothing to do i have to
PA> reboot :(
PA>
PA> how can i debug where the problem is ?
PA>
PA> thanks
PA> paolo

Probably one or more GL screensavers does something nasty. On one box I
always had that problem with the "whales" screensaver. The only work
around I can think of is to disable the offending screensaver (or all
the GL screensavers) and see whether that works.

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |