Hoary: Kernel 2.6.10 & 2.6.11 / USB-harrdisk failure

S. Donig my-mailfloods at web.de
Mon May 9 06:51:14 UTC 2005

Thanks for answering my post, Trent

> > Since I have installed hoary several months ago I've run in problems
> > using my external hard disk. At the moment I run hoary installed from
> > scratch.
> >
> > Hardware:
> > IBM R50p laptop and a
> > Maxtor OneTouch external hard disk (USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394)
> >
> > Problem:
> > When plugging in the hard disk hotplug seems to work fine (no suspicious
> > log). Any transfer of a larger file (20MB<) immediately "freezes" the
> > transfer. While no data is copied the file-transfer dialogue will remain
> > open and count the remaining time endless.
>
> If you are using firewire, try passing 'serialize_io=1' to sbp2 module
>
> e.g. add
> sbp2 serialize_io=1 to /etc/modules (im sure theres a better way, but
> this works)
>
> I found firewire disks to be much better with this.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
> However it still sucked, so I want back to usb2.
>

> > There's no way to stop that process until you kill it explicitly (e.g.
> > x-kill). GNOME will respawn but the hard disk is not detected once more.
> > Also shutdown will be unclean.
> Unfortunately when you get procesess waiting on IO from a dead device,
> this happens. best bet is so alt+sysrq (S)ync, (U)nmount, run those
> about 10 times each and then re(B)oot. :)
> >
> > Most strange: _Nothing_ appears in the ogs.
> not even in 'dmesg'?
Nope. That's really weired. Maybe there's something I'm not able to see?
I'll attach my tail -f syslog, messages and dmesg-output below.

tail -f syslog goes:
May  9 08:35:57 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting unchecked
fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[This is due to prior killing of the transfer-process I bet. Running
e2fsck has no influence at all on future hangups.]
May  9 08:35:57 localhost kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5
secondsMay  9 08:35:57 localhost kernel: EXT3 FS on sdb1, internal
journal
May  9 08:35:57 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
May  9 08:35:57 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with
ordered data mode.
[That's it. The killing of the transfer dialogue a minute later is
registered in .xsession-errors.]

The same goes for dmesg and messages
EXT3-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sdb1, internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.

No entries are made in /var/log/debug or daemon.log