Hoary: Kernel 2.6.10 & 2.6.11 / USB-harrdisk failure

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sun May 8 18:23:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 17:01 +0200, S. Donig wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> Since I have installed hoary several months ago I've run in problems
> using my external hard disk. At the moment I run hoary installed from
> scratch.
>
> Hardware:
> IBM R50p laptop and a
> Maxtor OneTouch external hard disk (USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394)
>
> Problem:
> When plugging in the hard disk hotplug seems to work fine (no suspicious
> log). Any transfer of a larger file (20MB<) immediately "freezes" the
> transfer. While no data is copied the file-transfer dialogue will remain
> open and count the remaining time endless.

If you are using firewire, try passing 'serialize_io=1' to sbp2 module

e.g. add
sbp2 serialize_io=1 to /etc/modules (im sure theres a better way, but
this works)

I found firewire disks to be much better with this.

However it still sucked, so I want back to usb2.

> There's no way to stop that process until you kill it explicitly (e.g.
> x-kill). GNOME will respawn but the hard disk is not detected once more.
> Also shutdown will be unclean.
Unfortunately when you get procesess waiting on IO from a dead device,
this happens. best bet is so alt+sysrq (S)ync, (U)nmount, run those
about 10 times each and then re(B)oot. :)

> Most strange: _Nothing_ appears in the ogs.
not even in 'dmesg'?

--
Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>
Bur.st Networking Inc.