VNC Installation

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun May 8 21:30:35 UTC 2005

Matthew S-H wrote:
> But Ubuntu is so easy to install even the untrained staff can do it :).
>  haha.

Yes, but you might not want them to.

A Linux box is not necessarily a stand-alone unit for the benefit of the
people in front of it. It might be a server at a remote co-location
facility, in which case you'd want to specify and know exactly what went
on that system.

Besides, you might be able to get the untrained staff to plug in a
keyboard and type one line. Beyond that would either be expensive or
just Not Their Job.

Or it might just be something that needed to be supported in the future,
in which case you wouldn't want the untrained staff to know a
root-equivalent username and password.

Think IT admin staff who can't easily get at all their boxes.

James.

--
E-mail address: james |     "Why is it we never meet anyone nice?"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     "Why is it we never meet anyone who can shoot