install trouble

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun May 8 21:36:34 UTC 2005

Oliver Savage wrote:
> On my first Ubuntu install I had the same problem as you. I had
> checked the md5sum after download. Burned the CD and then went to
> install, every time it failed on the same file. So I downloaded the
> ISO again. Then I noticed the CD Integrity check option, and I ran
> that. It would fail in the CD drive, but when I put the same disk in
> the DVD drive and ran the check it passed. Indicating that the problem
> was with the CD drive.

FWIW I had a similar problem when I installed. My workaround was to
switch to a shell (Alt-F2, I believe), work out where the CD was
mounted, umount the CD, mount the partition that contained the
downloaded ISO image, loopback mount the ISO image where the installer
expected the CD to be, and told the installer to try again.

Everything went much faster after that...

(I wouldn't recommend this unless you're comfortable with the command
line...)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Strangely enough, this last one is interrupted by
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper.