To install eciadsl: sudo dpgk -i eciadsl_0.10-1_i386.deb?

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun May 8 03:24:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 06:07:39AM +0300, Ari Torhamo wrote:
> I can't connect the machine in question to the internet before I have
> installed and configured eciadsl - that's what the package is for, it's
> a driver for an USB ADSL modem.

*blush*

> Are you sure eciadsl_0.10-1_i386.deb
> isn't an Ubuntu package? I found it in
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/e/eciadsl/ .

Oh, it's definitely an Ubu package. I just meant that you
should use apt-get to install it so that you can resolve all
the dependencies.

The easiest way to figure out whether you're going to
encounter dependency hell is to try to install it using the
'dpkg -i' method that you listed before, and see if you run
into any dependency problems. So don't mind me; you had the
right idea. :-)

> It says in eciadsl package properties (in Synaptic) that it depends on
> libc6 (ppp and hotplug recommended). I seems to me that libc6 is a part
> of default Hoary installation and thus there wouldn't be any depency
> problems. I may well have misunderstood something here though - I know
> hardly anything about this kind of stuff.

You have the right idea. 'Twas I who was misleading you.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571