playing DVD (Totem-Xine)

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sat May 7 23:41:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 00:35 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:
> once again,
> i installed TOTEM-xine as explained under:
>
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/AddingCodecsToTotemHowTo
>
> now, some DVD can be played and some DVD's are just detected as DVD-ROM's.
> these ones detected as DVD-ROM's are videos my son has seen a hundred
> times before (using OGLE and VLC in Warty).
Did you try force playing them in Totem?  (From Totem menu, choose "Play
Disc").

Also, if above didn't work, try browsing the DVD and dragging one of the
large *.vob files to the Totem menu and see if it plays or not.

> could this have any other reason than the DVD player itself, like some
> wrong settings of the CD-Drive?
Personally, I don't think so.  The fact that some DVDs plays fine and
others don't is the indication of other problem.

> regards for help on this,
>
> René

I hope that helped you.
(If all the above didn't help, please post the error message Totem
displays when forcing it to play DVDs.)
Ziyad.