How do I use NTP to keep my (rather fast) clock in sync?

Hal Finkel Hal at Finkel.com
Sat May 7 03:07:17 UTC 2005

The following is the ntpd configuration I use on a machine with a bad
internal clock. The "important" line in this case is the "tinker panic 0
stepout 0" which tells ntpd not to "give up" even if the time on the
local machine differs drastically from that of the remote host.

Hope this helps,
Hal

# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd

tinker panic 0 stepout 0

# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
#logfile /var/log/ntpd

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

restrict default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1 nomodify

#server time.nist.gov
server pool.ntp.org