How do I use NTP to keep my (rather fast) clock in sync?

Man-wai Chang mwchang at i-cable.com
Sat May 7 01:03:12 UTC 2005

> The internal clock in my computer is rather fast (gains about 10mins a
> day). I've installed ntp-simple in the hope that it might keep the clock

******** my /etc/ntp.conf ************8
restrict default noquery notrust nomodify notrap

# server 127.127.1.0
# fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10   # LCL is unsynchronized

restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify
restrict 127.0.0.1

# Hong Kong Observatory
server stdtime.gov.hk prefer
restrict stdtime.gov.hk noquery nomodify
# France Observatory
server ntp.obspm.fr
restrict ntp.obspm.fr noquery nomodify
# Swiss Federal Office of Metrology and Accreditation)
server ntp.metas.ch
restrict ntp.metas.ch noquery nomodify
# USNO, Stratum 1
# server tick.ucla.edu
# restrict tick.ucla.edu noquery nomodify

# server ntp.cuhk.edu.hk
# restrict ntp.cuhk.edu.hk noquery nomodify

# below are stratum 1 servers
# server tick.usno.navy.mil
# restrict tick.usno.navy.mil noquery nomodify
# server time-b.nist.gov
# restrict time-b.nist.gov noquery nomodify

multicastclient

# keys /etc/ntp.keys
# requestkey 15
# controlkey 15
# trustedkey 3 4 5 6 14

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
logfile  /var/log/ntp
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats

after you make your ntp.conf, you restart ntp, and wait a few minutes
for the time to sync properly.

--
http://changmw.homeip.net