[Hoary] using the Warty kernel ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat May 7 01:15:50 UTC 2005

I would have switched to Hoary if it wasn't for the TV card that stopped
working, but works fine in Warty. Trying to narrow it down in the hope
that it will be fixed for Breezy. Seems the problem is pretty low level,
so I am trying to retro-fit the Warty kernel in Hoary, to see what
happens.

But not sure how to do it. I copied the Warty kernel files (initrd &
vmlinuz) into Hoary's boot directory, and added an entry in menu.lst, by
copying the existing Hoary entry and just modifying the file names, and
that's it.
GRUB seems happy at first, it starts booting the Warty kernel, but half
a second later...it fails, printing this on the screen :

**********
Starting Ubuntu...
pivot_root : No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 429: cannot open dev/console : No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init !
  _

Since I don't really know what I am doing, I probably did something
wrong... please help... :-)

regards,

--
Vince