PDF files : printing protected !

paul cooke paul.cooke100 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 6 12:39:41 UTC 2005

On Thursday 05 May 2005 22:07, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > While I understand your point, just as a point (heh), the Ubuntu live CD
> > does not touch your hard drive in any way, it runs totally off the cd
> > and does not make any changes to your computer.
> >
> > Just making sure you know.
> >
> > Trent
>
> Yes Trent ;-)
>
> But there is no point trying a live CD, knowing well that I am never
> going to install Ubuntu on it... waste of time.
> He really doesn't care the slightest bit about computers, they are just
> a painful but necessary machine in his eyes, the less he sees of it, the
> happier he feels.
> Plus, although I have not really checked the exact specs of his laptop,
> I anticipate that it's not modern enough for Ubuntu.
> Hard drive would be large enough I think, it has sound and a dial-up
> modem, but the screen is too small, I think the native resolution must
> be 800x600, and I really wouldn't want to have Ubuntu with such a
> disastrous resolution.

rubbish... 800x600 is perfectly fine provided you start using smaller fonts.
I'm using Ubuntu on an old laptop at 800x600 with no problems. Mind you, I'm
NOT using gnome, but using xfce4.2

> On my personal machine, I run my old 17" CRT at
> 1152x864, which I find good enough, but I would be happier if I could
> run at 1280x960 or higher, but sadly my monitor only manages 60Hz at
> high resolutions. 1152x864 is the highest resolution where the monitor
> can manage 75Hz, which my poor eyes call a bare minimum...

ahh, my heart bleeds for you... ;) I'm currently typing this up at 1280x1024
on a 21" TFT display...

my display cost more than my PC, but then again, I spend more time looking at
the display than at the PC...