dhcp, plus a question about wireless on ubuntu.

hesco at greens.org hesco at greens.org
Thu May 5 13:17:20 UTC 2005

`cat /etc/resolve.conf` will tell you what your name servers
are.  Run as root, `ifconfig` will tell you what connection a
machine has with itself (the lo interface) and with the outside
world, including hardware MAC addresses and IP addresses.
If you are using dhcp, then either `dhclient` or `pump`
will create or renew a lease.  I use `ifconfig eth0 down` to
release a lease.  `route` will report the state of routes off
the box, including the default gateway.  `ifconfig` and `route`
will also permit you to manipulate the settings they report.
I usually have to return to the man page to get that level
of detail.  `cat /etc/network/interfaces` will tell you how you
are configured to obtain your default on boot IP addresses and
is where you can hard code a static IP address if you need to.

Before I understood the interfaces file, I use to run a three
line script at boot that relied on ifconfig and route to set
me up for off-box access.

Having shared all of that, I hope someone can help me with this:

I use Debian Sarge on my own machine (and have used Woody before
that for two or three years).  But I'm offering support to a
friend who just obtained a box built with ubuntu from DumsterNet
(dumsternet.org).  He needs a wireless card for his access to
the router.

lspci identifies an LNE100Tx and a RaLink RT2500.  I have no
problems connecting with the hard wire card, but the wireless
does not seem to be supported.  Knoppix loads an rt2500 module
(according to lsmod).  But the ubuntu installation has nothing
in /lib/modules that looks like what is needed.  Do I really
need to rebuild the kernel (on this slooow machine), or are
there stock wireless-enabled kernels I could download and use,
or do I need to rebuild his machine with Debian, which I sort
of understand?  Also, if I build a kernel package on my faster
Debian box, use kernel-package to make a .deb of it and install
that, should it work?  How interoperable are these systems?

-- Hugh Esco