A Plea for sanity when posting to this list.

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Thu May 5 12:44:47 UTC 2005

to, 2005-05-05 kello 16:06 +1200, Lindsay kirjoitti:
> I'm responding to this discussion with this comment at the top of the
> replay..... and at the bottom.   Can we now PLEASE get on with some
> serious problem solving.

There are people on this list who are subscribed to several high traffic
mailing lists and may receive five hundred or more messages per day.
Wading through those messages seldom is the focus of their work or
hobby, but a tool to help them with what they do, which can be
developing, documenting, translating, giving support to others, etc. The
less time and energy it takes for them to process this flood of messages
the better for them - and for us who benefit from their work. I think
this is the reason why this issue is raised so often and why it stays
afloat so long.

You may not have found the subject important or interesting, but people
have different standpoints. We should be careful when saying to others
what's important and what's not. Some of the issues raised in this
thread seemed to be new to many of the participants and I think that new
understanding was created.

When you next time begin to feel that a thread is uninteresting, why
wouldn't you do what most of us do - hit the "Del" button. You quickly
learn to identify the uninteresting thread from the subject line and
after that it's just hitting "Del". Especially when you use the threaded
view (I recommend this) it's easy to quickly remove the messages - and
others may go on with their conversation.

Regards,

Ari