Switching between two partitions

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 5 07:54:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:05:36PM +1000, John Nicholls wrote:
>I have Warty on one partition and Hoary on another. How can I switch
>between the two without having to reboot?

If you trully want to switch between them, e.g. run the Hoary kernel
instead of the Warty kernel then you have to reboot.

If you only want access to the data on the other partition you can just
mount it. If you want a little bit more you can explore chroot.

Some day in the future Xen might offer an easy solution, at the moment
it's probably doable but would require a lot of work on your part,
AFAIK.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
complaining.
     -- Jef Raskin