vncserver and hoary

Brian Craft bcboy at thecraftstudio.com
Thu May 5 00:43:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 05:31:30PM -0400, paulnec wrote:
> Our problem is even more frustrating, as i tried to install several
> vnc-servers on my ubuntu.....
>
> With the original vncserver and xstartup-script the keymapping is
> completly out of order.

I just had this problem. I suspect it's related to gnome handling of
keyboard settings. I went into the keyboard setup dialog and hit
"reset to defaults" on the "layout" tab. That sorta fixed my problems.

In more detail, I use a dvorak layout with caps-lock and ctrl-l swapped.
So from the local X server (the real one) I run the gnome keyboard
setting dialog and select the "dvorak" layout and the "swap caps-lock
and ctrl" layout option. I can log out at this point.

Now, I start a vncserver. The vncserver starts gnome-session, which, I
suspect, mucks with the keymaps according to the above settings.

Now, if I run a viewer from another host which has the same layout
settings, the keys are garbled. If I run directvnc on the local box,
the keys are garbled the same way. If I write a .xsession that starts
twm and a terminal (no gnome-session), do "startx", then start a viewer,
the keys in the viewer are garbled the same way.

If I go back to the gnome keyboard dialog and select "reset to
defaults", all is well.

I don't pretend to understand any of this.

b.c.