Resend Urgent bootprofiles (and something annoying)

Frank Schafer frank.schafer at t-systems.cz
Wed May 4 09:56:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

I hit on some problems connecting to work from home. Well, this is easy
to solve by hand but id rather like to have this done during boot.

I have some changes too, to the requirements in my further post. What I
need:

(1) booting with eth0 up using a.b.c.d/24 gw a.b.c.1 nameserver f.h.k.i
(2) booting with eth0 up using d.a.f.h/28 gw d.a.f.254
                         nameserver k.m.w.m
    start of vncclient_init
(3) booting with wlan0 up using k.l.l.d/24 gw k.l.l.1 nameserver m.k.l.l
(4) booting with ppp0 up using a.d.g.t/16 gw a.d.0.1 nameserver w.h.h.k
(5) booting into text console without network devices configured
(6) booting into GUI without network devices configured

(7) booting into Sicromoft Wondies XT

I had a look at "guessnet" like some of the replies to my former post
suggested. I think of guessnet as a valuable tool but as you see it
doesn't fit my needs here because a) how will it distinguish between (1)
and (2) and b) not everything is network related.

I've chosen the kernel command line way because a) it's elegant and b) I
can (already done so) based on /proc/cmdline decide to call or not to
call ``vncclient connect'' from my ~/.bash_profile. (BTW: I'd like to
call this from my ~/.Xsession but I've still not figured out why this
isn't called if I'm using gdm.)

I'm relatively new to Debian ant thus to Ubuntu. There are 3 network
related scripts in /etc/init.d; ifupdown-clean, ifupdown and networking.
Can someone tell me why 3 and what every single one is for? Will it be
sufficient to link /etc/network/interfaces to one appropriate to the
demanded boot profile from (say) ifupdown-clean, which is the first one
called?
For (6) everything is clear xorg-common and gdm simply exit if
BOOTPROFILE=noX, right?

That was the questions - now the annoying part. I booted the PC which
was still configured for eth0 using DHCP at home. There is no DHCP
server responding to requests. The "Bringing up network" part of the
boot sequence gave [OK] ?????!!!????!!!!??? :-o I started a gnome
session and network-admin. This said that the NIC is configured and
active for eth0 :-/ Unfortunately I was too perplexed to approve this
with ifconfig. I simply stopped, reconfigured and started the NIC.
This only for information that there is probably a bug somewhere in the
network configuration scripts.

Regards
Frank